During pregnancy, a would-be mother goes through shortness of breath, troubled breathing while lying down and palpitations, chest pain fatigue, nausea, morning sickness, and dizziness. But these are not the signs of heart problems. The occurrence of palpitation may be due to the diaphragm moving up in the chest during pregnancy. A pregnant woman’s blood volume increases by 30-50% to support the baby and the heart pumps about 25% faster than the usual heart rate. The blood vessels dilate and the heart expands to compensate for the extra strain. Women experience heart palpitations in different ways.
- Dizziness or light-headedness
- Pounding heart
- Rapid heartbeat
- Fluttering chest
- A sensation of skipping heartbeats
Whatever the symptoms are, there are several different potential causes of heart palpitations during pregnancy. These consist of:
- Eating habits
- Side effects of medicines
- An underlying heart disorder, such as pulmonary hypertension or coronary artery disease
- Heart disorder from a previous pregnancy
- An underlying medical problems
- Weight gain
- Low blood pressure
To ease your pounding, you can grab a snack, drink water, take a rest and meditate or practice deep breathing.
Deal your palpitation
Cope up with your problems by taking care of yourself. The following tips may help you –
- Don’t take any medicine without consulting your doctor
- Eat nutritious food
- Take small snacks between meals to prevent low blood sugar
- Limit caffeine
- Stay hydrated
- Take cold shower
- Take enough rest
- Manage emotions
- Keep monitoring your heartbeat
- Consult with your doctor regularly
When you should you call a doctor?
As the days pass by, due to hormonal and physical changes, heart races or palpitation starts. Usually, it starts in the second trimester or third trimester but it’s of not much concern every time. But, you need medical help if you go through -.
- Sudden difficulty in breathing
- Excessive sweating
- Tightness in your chest
The reason behind palpitations can be found out and rectified once you have consulted a doctor. Saraswati Hospital has an advanced infrastructure with a skilled team of the best cardiologist in Bopal to give the best service and medical treatment. For any assistance contact us.