First, let’s understand what osteoarthritis is. It is a condition affecting any joint in the body. It can occur in any joint, such as the knee, hip, finger joints, lower back, the base of the thumb or toe.
There are no specific causes for osteoarthritis, but here are some factors that may develop this condition over time.
- Being overweight can cause osteoarthritis in the knee and hip.
- It normally starts from the late 40s onwards due to weakening muscles or weight gain.
- It is common and severe in women.
- Anyone born with abnormalities may develop severe osteoarthritis.
- Injury or operation in the joint may develop this condition in the later stage of life.
With advanced technology, surgeries for this condition can be performed in trusted hospitals. The most common osteoarthritis are the knee and hip. Our team of reliable and experienced orthopedic doctors performs the best hip replacement surgery in Bopal, Ahmedabad.
Let’s understand these common surgeries in depth.
Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery is replacing a damaged, worn or diseased knee with an artificial joint.
There are 2 types of knee replacement.
- Total knee replacement – In this surgery, both the sides of the knee joint are replaced. This surgery may require the patient to stay for a few days in the hospital.
- Partial (half) knee replacement – Only 1 side of the joint is replaced in this surgery. This requires a smaller operation with a shorter hospital stay. Recovery is possible in a short span of time.
When do you require knee replacement surgery?
- Even after exercise, physiotherapy, and pain killers, you cannot see the healing progress of your knees.
- If walking, sleeping, or going to work has become troublesome due to arthritis, it is time to consult an orthopedic doctor. Our team of orthopedic doctors is believed to be the best at a knee replacement in Bopal, Ahmedabad.
- If your leg is deformed due to an injury, surgery may help you restore normal function to damaged knee joints.
- If you were born with a misshaped leg, surgery may be performed.
- If your knee has damaged, inflammatory tissue inside that causes stiffness and swelling, surgery can be performed to remove those tissues.
Hip Replacement Surgery
Hip replacement also known as; total hip arthroplasty is a surgery where an artificial part is used to replace a damaged hip joint. It is usually made of metal, ceramic, and very hard plastic to reduce the pain and achieve mobility for the patient.
When do you require hip replacement surgery?
- If your hip or groin area is paining due to walking or exercising, you may consult a doctor for guidance on hip replacement.
- If your hip does not let you enjoy peaceful sleep at night, it is painful due to movements in the night, you need to consider hip replacement surgery.
- Even with support, you are not able to stand on one leg for more than a minute.
- There is no improvement even after getting medications or physiotherapy.
To sum up, there are lots of medications for various osteoarthritis. However, surgeries need to be performed, if the condition is critical.