During summer, as the mercury rises, the body tries to keep the body temperature to normal levels and pumps blood harder. In this situation, the body must redirect the blood flow to the skin. It increases your heartbeat. Therefore, the heart pumps two to four times the blood every minute as it does on a colder day. This sudden change in the body affects the heart along with other organs. Summers can cause heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Heat exhaustion occurs when the body has enough overheating.
Signs of heat exhaustion:
- Excessive sweating
- Cold, moist skin, chills
- Feeling dizziness or fainting
- Muscle cramps
- Fast, shallow breathing
- Nausea, vomiting or both
How warm weather affects Heart Patients
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Kidney dysfunction
Tips to protect the heart in summer-
- Remain hydrated with plenty of fluids – Watery fruits such as watermelons, lemons, pineapples, muskmelon, and sweet limes help to cool body temperature. However, avoid sweet beverages and caffeine.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes – Clothing for summer should be lightweight and breathable, allowing you to stay cool in the hot weather.
- Avoid stress – It is essential to take steps to reduce stress in order to maintain a healthy heart and overall health. There are many ways to reduce stress such as meditation, exercise, and engaging in activities that bring joy.
- Eat a balanced diet – A balanced diet should include all of the necessary vitamins, minerals, and proteins that our bodies need to function properly. Avoid junk food.
- Physical activity – Physical activity in summer can help improve your physical health, mental well-being, and overall quality of life. But intense activities should be avoided.
- Get enough sleep – Getting enough sleep in summer is essential for your physical and mental health.
Who is more at risk-
- Elderly and very young children
- Those with long-term and chronic health conditions
- People with existing heart problems
- Those who work outdoors on a hot day
Healthcare facilities play a vital role in providing comprehensive care for heart health. It is essential to find the best heart care facility that offers the highest quality of care and services. Saraswati Hospitals have all the facilities to cater to health services in the best possible way.
Saraswati Hospital is a multispecialty hospital, that has some of the best cardiologists in Bopal, who have been providing quality treatment to their patients for decades now.
For more information or inquiry, please call +91 98254 45403/09 or email: