What is Type 2 diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes mellitus is an illness that is known to affect how the body uses glucose. Body
cells need sugar in order to function properly. Sugar is absorbed into cells using a hormone
called insulin. In type 2 diabetes, the body stops reacting to insulin. Over time, the pancreas
does not make enough insulin to keep up with what the body needs. Having extra fat stored in
the liver and abdomen increases the body’s insulin demand. This leads to high glucose levels.
People with type 2 diabetes require regular monitoring and ongoing treatment to maintain normal or near-normal blood sugar levels. Treatments can minimize the risk of diabetes and
Signs that indicate blood glucose levels may be too high –
● Feeling Thirsty
● Feeling Weak Or Tired
● Urinating Often
● Having Trouble Paying Attention
● Blurry Vision
● Yeast Infections
Signs that blood glucose levels may be too low:
● Dizziness Or Shakiness
● Being Pale
● A Fast Heartbeat
Guidance to manage Type 2 Diabetes
Blood sugar control –
The main objective should be the maintenance of blood sugar levels. It may help prevent long-
term complications – affecting the eyes, kidneys, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.
Regular testing –
● A1c test
● Random blood sugar testing
● Fasting blood sugar testing
● Glucose Tolerance Test
● Basic clinical exams like foot exam, urine test, retinal check-up, lipid profile
● Advanced monitoring is advisable in case of frequent hypoglycemia, fluctuations in
blood glucose, anemia, etc
Lifestyle Goals in Diabetes –
● Improve health through optimized nutrition.
● Minimise smoking, other tobacco products, and alcohol consumption
● Manage stress
● Manage blood pressure
Physical activities –
● Walk regularly
● Healthy carbohydrates like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and peas, and low-fat
● Fibre-rich foods
● Foods to avoid – Processed food, fish with high mercury, sodium
Who can help in managing diabetes –
● Registered dietitians
● Diabetes educators
● Foot doctors
General Medicine & Diabetology department at Saraswati Hospital is equipped with state-of-art facilities for the treatment of basic to complicated endocrine problems for adult and pediatric endocrine disorders under the expert care and consultation of our best diabetologists in ahmedabad.
Prediabetes, Type1, and Type 2 diabetes should be controlled and monitored. At Saraswati hospital, we have a skilled team who can help to manage diabetes. For more information or inquiry, please call +91 98254 45403/09 or email: email@example.com.